Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Holiday Recap

Where to begin? This one is for the journal! I started Christmas Eve with the gift I always dread...my Christmas cough! I get it every year two days before Christmas. What a bummer!

We spent Christmas Eve at my parents where my Mom made an unbelievable dinner. Steak, shrimp, Cold Duck, twice baked potatoes, and more. This was the first year the kids actually made it through a wonderful dinner and it was enjoyable. We headed downstairs where the kids met the gift my parents bought for them. A kitchen set and train table. They started playing and the adults sat upstairs and actually talked! What a treat! Adult conversation with my siblings. We had a pageant and it turned out exactly like I thought it would with seven kids under seven. It was wonderful. We came home that evening and got the boys in Christmas jammies. Carden was so excited for Santa. They both went right to sleep.

Santa worked hard in the basement putting together a Fisher Price plastic house that looks like it should take 2.5 minutes to put together. We managed 2.5 HOURS!!!!!! It was one of the funniest moments of my life and I can't believe the boys did not wake to all the pounding. However, Carden did say "I heard something banging in the basement. It was Santa!" Thanks to Megan and Robb for helping.

Christmas Eve is gaining a new meaning as our kids get older. We will learn!

We had a wonderful time opening our presents on Christmas morning. Carden loved his new Utah jersey and Max had no idea what was going on. Alan did a GREAT job on the stockings. I love that he does all our shopping and plays Santa! Thanks honey! We raced off to Alan's parents for omelets and pull apart cinnamon bun (a great tradition). The omelets were sensational this year! Maybe it was because I was not so full with baby this year. I had someplace to actually put it. THANKS STEVE!

We opened presents and I will post later about the gift Alan's parents gave us. WE LOVE IT!!!! They are amazing! They do major shopping for all five kids, spouses, and grandkids. They are so thoughtful and buy way toooooo much.

We headed home just in time for naps! Yep, both kids down at the same time and we took a nap also. What a great Christmas gift!

We woke the next morning and headed off to Eden. It was a great week spent in a winter wonderland. It snowed the ENTIRE time and we enjoyed being in doors and out. We ate A LOT! In fact, Carden asked why we call it Eden. I gave my explanation and then he told me the real reason. Because we eat there. We tied the sleds behind the car and froze our noses off while wearing swim goggles. We hot tubbed, watched movies, played games, Alan went snow boarding at Wolf Mountain, made crafts, made sugar cookies and danced to Michael Jackson, played Wii, shopped at Dottie Becks, and stayed up late talking after getting the kids down. Alan took Carden for a quick trip over to the Pohlmans' cabin and they LOVED it! They went snow mobiling and snow boarding.
We came home on New Year's Eve evening and fed the kids. Carden now has my cough and I feel terrible. He went to bed early and Alan and I stayed up late spending time together. We then called at midnight to get Carden on a wait list for preschool. Yep, that is where your life goes after kids. Instead of a great kiss with your honey, your lips are to the phone trying to get your kid in preschool! It is all worth it! Well worth it. I love the holidays and can't believe it is over! I am a little sad but happy to get things cleaned out and organized around here.

Here is to a new year! 2008 here we come! May it be as good as the last!

5 comments:

naptime nostalgia said...

Looks like you had a great holiday. And it looks like Alan's beard is still around. Sorry about that. Hope to see you soon!

naptime nostalgia said...

I meant stash.

Rogers Family Blog said...

We had a fun time with you guys up in Eden. I love that our kids have some memories to share together and so do we. I think you do a great "Michael Jackson" impersonation. Tell Shooter he cheats! xoxo

Ashley said...

Merry Christmas (very late) Abby! It looks like you guys had such a great Christmas! And can Alan do my Christmas shopping too while he's at it! Sheesh! You are so lucky! I hope your Christmas cough is gone and that you guys are enjoying the new year! It seems like forever since I've seen you!

susie said...

Sounds like so much fun Abs! I love your story about spending News Years on the phone for preschool. Ahhh, parenthood. :) Maybe we'll catch you next time we're in SL.