Saturday, December 22, 2007

Never Say "Never"!

I did it. I swore I never would. Not only because we are commanded not to, it is immoral, and because we are suppose to be examples for our kids, but because I want to sleep! Carden has not slept through the night in who knows how long. Sometimes up three times a night. I tried everything. Positive praise charts, reasoning, threats, ear plugs, letting him scream for hours only to have him wake Max, letting him go to the bathroom everytime he needed to, you name it. Finally, three nights ago, I did the unthinkable. I lied! I informed Carden about the Sleep Moster, I KNOW!!!!!!, that comes when you are loud at night or get out of your bed.

I always thought people that did these kinds of things were rediculous! Lie to your child. Come on. Well, I have officially joined the club.

I have not heard from him in three nights! I love it and thought I would inform him about the truth but now I may just wait for the story to fade and for him to continue to sleep.

It was perfect timing because I have been sick and very exhausted. Thank goodness I have only had to get up to take care of myself. It is amazing how much better you feel when you sleep more than three hours in a row. I am such a sleep person. Always have been. While in high school, I used to talk to my friend Becky on the phone at 8:30 and then we would go to bed! I need my sleep and even worse, so does Alan. We have been VERY grumpy around our house for awhile and thank the mysterious Sleep Moster for a new found love! SLEEP. I am so excited to go to bed because I used to dread the night time. GOOD NIGHT!

6 comments:

The "D" Family said...

Ha ha!! May the Sleep monster continue to haunt your halls! Maybe I it is just the evil coming out in me, but I don't see it as a lie, it is a trick right? Just like grandpa eating rattle snake soup, and how eating your lunch puts hair on your chest!!
Love
Kelly

Alicia said...

Abby, that is AWESOME. I guess that Carden has to worry about Bruce and Frank (the road monsters) and now the Sleep Monster too.... I am just glad that you are getting some sleep :).

Heidi said...

Abb, I hate to admit this, but I too have used the mysterious sleep monster! Isn't it awful what we do to get sleep. I am happy that you are getting your sleep now. I hope we can get together sometime soon. Happy Holidays! Love ya!

Goodrich's said...

I'm glad it worked for you! Sometimes you have to break out the big guns! It completely back fired in my face. Zack wouldn't sleep in his room for about a year (seriously)! He had to sleep in the guest room because apparently monsters don't reside in there!

Courtney said...

I love it! I will have to try that if Weston ever gets to that point, but really I was blessed with a good sleeping kid...who knows what the next one will be like...glad you are sleeping better...

Laurie said...

You are so awesome! I think if I ever have a problem, I'll just call you. I need Carden to influence Jax to use the potty again. Cute blog. Fun stuff.